Baroque Palace Bruchsal
The residence of Bruchsal
The Castle of Bruchsal is one of the most beautiful Baroque palaces in Germany and the only episcopal Baroque residence on the Upper Rhine. The foundation stone was laid in 1722 by Cardinal Damian Hugo von Schönborn, Prince Bishop of Speyer, who made the palace the centre of his absolutist dominion.
In 2017 this “Palace of the Year” is being celebrated in style again. The main floor of the palace is being transformed like a butterfly, regaining the former glory of its state rooms with stucco, parquet and silk wall coverings. In the period after World War II the former apartments of the Prince Bishops had been converted into large modern exhibition halls.
Recently, however, the sequence of rooms on the main floor has been restored to their original arrangement of the years between the 18th century and their destruction in 1945.
We invite you to a tour of the most important sights and prettiest corners of the Baroque town. We start with 50 impressive buildings and a wonderful palace garden – Schloss Bruchsal palace, which was completed in 1760. But that is not all the town has to offer. Baroque, historism and art nouveau meet in hidden corners, which can only be viewed on a guided town walk.
For more information, opening times and prices:
Baroque Palace Bruchsal (Geoportal/Stadtplan)